Suppose all the information stored on computers everywhere were linked. Suppose I could program my computer to create a space in which everything could be linked to everything.
– Tim Berners-Lee, inventor of the World Wide Web
The internet has become a powerful force in the world of sales and marketing. Social media networks, online ads, banners and email campaigns have been utilised by millions of people around the world, with many businesses seeing great results from their online efforts. Incredibly powerful, virtually ubiquitous and versatile, the internet has transformed sales for good. However, there is still one sales tool that’s stronger than the internet: the telephone. Tried and tested, the telephone will always be the best tool for an equal balance of personal and professional. A great way to connect with clients, customers and collaborators, the telephone can help companies to boost their brand awareness, build business relationships and grow sales.
If you’re still not convinced of the power of the telephone, here are a few reasons why this established sales tool is still the best there is.
Businesses and the telephone
Though many companies spotted the potential of the telephone when it was developed in the 1870s, it wasn’t until the mid 20th century that businesses really started to take advantage of this powerful communication tool. Telemarketing really came into its own in the 1970s, when companies began to use the telephone to contact potential customers and to network with other businesses.
Building business relationships
In the world of B2B sales, relationships are everything. This is because, even in the largest companies, it’s often up to individuals to make decisions on purchasing products and services, and individuals are much more likely to buy from people and businesses that they know. In fact, according to Marketing Donut, only 2% of sales are made at initial meetings, with the other 98% made once two companies have built a relationship.
For building a business relationship, the telephone remains king. It’s a lot easier to discern humour, pathos, sincerity and other emotions over the phone than it is by email. What’s more, callers can expand the topic of conversation, allowing them to answer client queries and enabling them to really get to know a customer, their needs and their requirements.
When we speak to someone over the phone, we automatically analyse everything they say, the subtleties of their tone of voice, as well as the words they actually use, to decide exactly what the person we’re speaking to means and to decide whether or not they’re trustworthy. The more we speak to someone, the more trustworthy we’re likely to believe they are. Companies that trust a supplier are much more likely to do business with them, both initially and in the long term.
It doesn’t take long to write a generic sales email and fire it off to a number of potential clients. According to Smart Insights, on average only 13%-25% of emails are opened, with an average click through rate of just 1.3%-5.4%.
Making a phone call however takes time. Not only does this show you value a company’s potential business enough to take a few minutes out your day, it also shows a commitment to your on going business relationship and demonstrates your company values the personal touch.
Personal, professional and direct, the telephone is a confident and powerful sales tool. To find out more about developing an effective B2B sales strategy, give our team a call today on 01353 724 880.